.

...or why books and tv rank higher than sleep

Thursday, August 12, 2010

When I'm Not Reading - August 12th


We all have life and interests outside of reading and blogging (shocking, I know!). Missie at The Unread Reader hosts "When I'm Not Reading", which is an opportunity to discuss things we like to do or what's on our mind beyond reading.
My post this week is kind of about books. I've been trying to lose weight since June. I've lost 19lbs since June 1st by actually using my gym membership and reducing the gluten and processed foods. I've been really bad about going to the gym the past 2 weeks because of stress, depression, and life getting in the way.
I'm also trying to make even healthier food decisions. I recently picked up Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet which is a fantastic overview of the vegan lifestyle. She gives advice on how to "flirt" with veganism, which is what I hope to do. I don't want to become a vegetarian or vegan, but I do want to reduce my meat consumption and just make better food choices.
So that's what I'm doing when I'm not reading. What about you?

6 comments:

Virgowolf said...

I actually just saw Alicia on Oprah yesterday talking about her book. Let me know if you actually find any of the food she suggests to be appetizing. Most of what she pointed out on the show didn't look so tasty to me.

Must Love Books said...

19 lbs is awesome! Congrats on that.
Going Vegan is hard. I've been a vegetarian my whole life so I decided to go vegan for awhile. I missed cheese and milk too bad to stay vegan, but some of the stuff is really good. Vegan baking is amazing and slightly better for you.

Alissa said...

You're welcome for the award - you deserve it! And congrats on losing 19 lbs! :D

I also saw Alicia on Oprah yesterday and her book looked like a nice approach to use to get into cooking healthier snacks and meals. I wonder if it has any recipes for vegan cupcakes? Sometimes those are a very tasty alternative.

Super Librarian said...

Congrats on your weight loss!

I was afraid that the book would be too "preachy" about going vegan. It's nice to hear that she gives tips on how to "flirt" with going vegan. I might have to check it out!

Shera (Book Whispers) said...

Wow! Congrats on the wieght loss! I love how everyone is trying to be healthier.

Missie, The Unread Reader said...

Jenn! I'm super proud of you! 19lbs! WOW! That is just great!

And thanks for letting me know about Alicia's book. I'm gonna check it out to see if it can help me!

Keep up the good work! And remember, we can use each other for support!