Thursday, August 19, 2010
Booking Through Thursday
I couldn't think of anything for "When I'm Not Reading" this week, so I decided to participate in Booking through Thursday. This week, instead of a question, we have a quiz. Which is OK because I really enjoy reading other people's answers.
1. Favorite childhood book?
This is really tough for me because I have no idea how to answer it. I would say the book that has remained with me since childhood and the first book that comes to mind is "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott.
2. What are you reading right now?
Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler and Speed Dating with the Dead by Scott Nicholson
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
The latest House of Night book, Brave New World, and A Vintage Affair. Oh and I think I have Spirit Bound also on request.
4. Bad book habit?
it depends on who you ask. Either leaving a book in every room of the house, my car, and my bag (just in case I want to read)or buying books even though I have so many not yet read at home.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler
6. Do you have an e-reader?
I have a Nook
7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
see answers # 2 and 4
8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I read a lot more YA
9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
I don't know if I really have a comfort zone
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
I don't really have one - I read really anything that strikes my fancy at the time.
13. Can you read on the bus?
No. I can't read in a car either because of motion sickness.
14. Favorite place to read?
my hammock or my husband's recliner
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I lend to friends and family that I can trust to return the book. Unless I don't to read it again, in which case anyone who wants it can take it.
16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
only books I read for school
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
only books I read for school
18. Not even with text books?
I actually don't really write in textbooks. Usually I just highlight
19. What is your favorite language to read in?
20. What makes you love a book?well written, developed characters, and I have to be able to escape while reading.
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
I tailor my recommendations based on what I think the person would like.
22. Favorite genre?
23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Either Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris, or Shackleton by Roland Huntford
25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
26. Favorite cookbook?For nostalgic reasons, The Fanny Farmer Cookbook
27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
Hmm.. Probably The Happiness Project.
28. Favorite reading snack?
gingersnaps and tea.
29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
This happens a lot. Most recently I would say A Reliable Wife, or The Girl Who Played with Fire.
30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
about 50/50 I guess
31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I try to find something positive to soften the blow unless I despised the book. I strive to be honest and objective.
32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
Latin and French
33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
I don't get intimidated by books. If I hesitate to read one it's because it seems boring to me.
34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
See above answer
35. Favorite Poet?
Edgar Allen Poe
36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Anywhere from 2 -8
37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
38. Favorite fictional character?
39. Favorite fictional villain?I don't know if he counts but Snape from the Harry Potter series
40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
I like to read chick lit on vacation, or YA. Last vacation I brought The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
a couple of days
42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Tale of Two Cities
43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
my husband talking
44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Timeline by Michael Crichton
46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
not counting books for school? Between $100 - $200
47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I skim before buying a book
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
someone blabbing the ending
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
I try to
50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
none that I can think of
52. Name a book that made you angry.
The DaVinci Code
53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
The Girl who Played with Fire
55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
either YA books or Philippa Gregory's books