.

...or why books and tv rank higher than sleep

Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday...




Every Monday, MizB over at Should be Reading asks a question. This week's question is:
Can you read amidst distractions? (tv, others talking, sporting events, etc)

Absolutely! I don't know if it's a talent (probably not) or a skill I've honed throughout the years (most likely), but at least 75% of the time I've got something going on in the background while I am reading. I read during commercials, while Mike is watching tv, while I am waiting in line, while I am outside with the dogs (barking and neighbors screaming), or countless other reasons there is noise going on around me. I'm pretty good about being able to tune things out; however very loud conversations and yelling are almost impossible for me to ignore unless it's a very good book.

Meanwhile in the blogosphere, Sheila over at Book Journey hosts a weekly "What are you Reading" Monday. The downside of this meme is that I come away with entirely too many books on my ever expanding wish list. There are just so many people out there in the community that read fantastic sounding books.

This week I am still plugging along with The Passage by Justin Cronin, but hope to be done this week. I'm also reading Book 1 of The Snipesville Chronicles, "Don't Know Where, Don't Know When" by Annette Laing that she so nicely sent me a copy of.

I couldn't tell you what I am planning to read next. I have a really busy next couple of weeks coming up with school and unfortunately research journal articles are going to have to take precedence over novels :-(

So what are you reading? And can you do it with distractions?

2 comments:

Lori said...

I prefer the quiet. But, I will listen to soft music via headphones, to help me focus on the book more if there is alot of noise around. Here's mine.

Tammy said...

I can use a good book to tune out the world, my kids and my husband easily. I consider it my super power!