.

...or why books and tv rank higher than sleep

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Booking Through Thursday - July 8th

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly random question about books and reading, and a good way to gain some insight on bloggers. This week's question is:
Do you have friends and family to share books with? Discuss them with? Does it matter to you?

I am very fortunate that I have people in my life to share books with. My family in particular loves to share books. For me, it's a reminder and an amazement at how alike we are because we gravitate to a lot of the same books.

A common present is a book or gift card to Borders or B&N. My Dad often gets books that I am dying to read and if he isn't out of books to read he will usually let me read it first because I read faster. Unfortunately my reading speed has slowed down significantly since I started grad school. I think right now my Dad has 4 books of mine that he is currently reading.

I don't have many friends that I share books with, but lately I've seen an increase in friends who read. I don't know if it's because I'm expanding my horizons to include readers, or if I'm having a positive influence on people I have known for a long time ;-). I have a book club where we sort of discuss the book we read for about 5 minutes, but by and large I don't get to voice my opinion on books much. I wish I got a chance to talk about them more, but I guess that's why I started blogging.

As far as whether or not it matters, I have to say that yes it does. Like I said, the fact we share books is a great reminder of how alike several members are with me in my family. Books are such a huge part of my life (I'm in library school for a reason!) and I like being able to share my thoughts and opinions on books, and hear the opinions of those who also read. I don't know a better way to expand my reading horizons. Thank goodness for the book blogosphere!


Oh and I've joined Book Blogs. Check out my page and friend request me if you'd like.

No comments: