.

...or why books and tv rank higher than sleep

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

New Beginning

So I've decided to try again with this blog thing and focus on book and entertainment reviews. And since it takes up so much of my day to day reading habits, I'm sure I'll be blogging about the every day life of a library/history student.

To start things off, I'm going to review The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Heretics-Daughter/Kathleen-Kent/e/9780316024495/?itm=1&USRI=heretic%27s+daughter

Synopsis:
Sarah Carrier is a stubborn, willful daughter in 17th century Massachusetts struggling against her Mother and the world she lives in. She finds a new respect and appreciation for her Mother during the Salem witch hysteria. This is a true story told from the 10th generation descendant of Martha Carrier.

Review:
This is one of those books that I've picked up at the store, looked at, and put back a multiple number of times. When I was able to get an advanced reader copy at ALA midwinter, I figured it was a sign I should read the book. I'm glad I did.
I've read plenty of books about the Salem witch hysteria, and this book is a fresh perspective. Not only does it tell the story of a woman outside of Salem, but it is told from the perspective of her daughter. The story is not just about the hysteria; it's about the relationship between a mother and a daughter, it's about the bond of a family admist turmoil, and it's written by a descendant of the protagonist.

No comments: